You hear it all the time. ”Drink more water!” But that brings up so many questions...How much? With meals? Bottled, ﬁltered, reverse osmosis, distilled? When I heard about Dr. F. Batmanghelidjiʼs book, Your Bodyʼs Many Cries for Water: Youʼre Not Sick; Youʼre Thirsty, I knew I should take the time to read it.
Most of us believe that a dry mouth is an indicator of dehydration, Dr. Batmanghelidji explains that it is actually a sign of extreme dehydration. He believes that the body signals its need for water by producing pain. Here are a few statements from the book:
• The body is made up of 75% water, and brain tissue is 85% water. It needs water to function properly!
• Thinking that other beverages are substitutes for water is a “catastrophic” mistake. In reality many of them contain dehydrating agents.
• Damage occurs in the body when there is a persistent level of dehydration.
• The various signals given by the body during severe or lasting dehydration are often diagnosed as unknown disease conditions.
• Medical practitioners have been taught to silence the bodyʼs signals of dehydration with chemical products. Few treatments for disease are curative, most only suppress symptoms. Examples: hypertension, high cholesterol, allergies, asthma, arthritis.
• Every function of the body is dependent on adequate water supplies.
• The body can be dehydrated even when abundant water is available.
• It is estimated that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. Meaning the body
has a persistent water shortage that has been established for some time.
Areas of health addressed in the book are dysphesia, colitis and hiatus hernia. Pain related to rheumatoid arthritis, lower back, neck, angina, and headaches are also discussed. As well as stress and depression, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Dr. Batmanghelidji even connects weight gain to dehydration.
It all sounds to good to be true! Water to reverse disease, reduce pain, and lose weight? It does and it doesnʼt. With a little searching online you can ﬁnd lots of reasons for upping your water consumption. Even the Mayo Clinic website recommends the old 8x8 theory of 8 eight ounce glasses each day!
How much water? Dr. Batmanghelidjiʼs recommendation is to drink 1/2 ounce for each pound of body weight. That calculates to a 130 pound women drinking 65 ounces per day. Also, donʼt expect your body to become hydrated in a day. You must drink this amount consistently to achieve full hydration and begin to reverse illness and disease. Because of chemicals and contaminants present in tap water, and the questioned purity of bottled water, Dr. Batmanghelidji recommends drinking ﬁltered water. .
Our family purchased a Berkey Water System from Apple Wellness. After years of trying different options we have found this to be an easy and reliable source of clean water.
Some of the features that we really like:
• Purity: Able to remove viruses, pathogenic bacteria, cysts, and parasites. Also removes chemicals such as chlorine, ﬂouride, arsenic, herbicides, pesticides, Trihalomethanes, VOCʼs, heavy metals and more!
• Convenience: No electricity or plumbing required. Assembles in minutes. Simple to operate and maintain.
• Economical: Each Berkey ﬁlter is capable of cleaning 3,000 gallons of water. Most systems use two ﬁlters. That equals 6,000 gallons of ﬁltered water. A family using 4 gallons per day would have to replace the ﬁlters every four years. This makes the cost of pure water under 2 cents per gallon.
• Easy: No more hauling and carrying of water from the store to home.
• Assurance: Havenʼt you ever wondered how many chemicals have leached from the plastic bottle into your “pure” water? I recently learned that bottled water can be contaminated if the ﬁlters arenʼt maintained properly, introducing mold and bacteria.
• Healthy: Both distilled and reverse osmosis water have a pH of between 5 and 6. With a Berkey system you preserve the neutral or alkaline level of your water. Plus the Berkey removes contaminates but does not remove the minerals present.
• Survival: Okay, this seems rather dramatic but we have all become aware of the increasing natural disasters cause a disruptions in electricity, water, sanitation... This system is powerful enough to utilize almost any outside water source and transform it into safe and good tasting water.
This is an aspect of our health that we generally ignore. My husband and I have experimented with increasing our water consumption and discovered that we feel better when our bodies are hydrated. The difference was dramatic and surprising.
My advice to you: Drink more water! Drink pure water!
This article was contributed by
Kate Davison. Kate is currently attending The School of Natural Healing,
founded by renowned Dr. Christopher, working toward her Master
Herbalist degree. In addition to her interest in herbal healing, Katrina
has spent much time researching natural, healthy ways to nourish and
heal the body.
Although February is the shortest month, it can seem like the longest to those of us in northern climates. Who doesnʼt have cabin fever this year? Even winter sport enthusiasts have been challenged by the extreme cold. For me, February brings thoughts of tapping trees for maple syrup and birds beginning to sing their spring songs. Most of us associate this month with Valentineʼs Day and the symbol used to represent this celebrated holiday is the heart.
Did you know that your heart beats about 100,000 times each day pumping blood through 60,000 miles of blood vessels. It works harder than any other muscle during a lifetime. While we appreciate all that hard work, most of us donʼt think much about it until there are problems. I can attest to that. When I developed an irregular heart beat I was suddenly very aware of each beat. I am happy to state that it is under control largely due to CoQ10 supplementation. So in honor of February and hearts, here is some information on this necessary substance.
CoQ10, aka coenzyme Q10, was discovered 1957 at the University of Madison-Wisconsin Enzyme Institute. Research continued, and in 1972 it was demonstrated that a deﬁciency of CoQ10 was present in those with heart disease. By the 1980ʻs methods had been developed to accurately measure the bodyʼs CoQ10 levels and clinical trials were increasing rapidly. What researchers discovered was the ability of CoQ10 to exist in different states in the body. Its primary role in the cells is generating energy but it also acts as an antioxidant, scavenging free radicals.
Unfortunately most people have inadequate amounts of CoQ10. This is caused by a variety of factors. Without sufﬁcient levels of B-vitamins and trace minerals our body is unable to synthesize needed amounts. Levels of CoQ10 reach their peak during the twenties and early thirties, gradually declining as we age. Its antioxidant activity is in high demand to neutralize environmental toxins and free radicals. Also, there is evidence that statin therapy lowers plasma concentrations of CoQ10.
Studies been done suggesting CoQ10 is beneﬁcial for the following conditions: • Heart disease • Heart Attack: if taken within three days of a heart attack patients were less likely to have subsequent heart attacks and chest pain. It also reduced the risk of death from heart disease.
• Heart Surgery: taken prior to surgery it can reduce damage caused by free radicals, strengthen heart function, and lower the incidence of irregular heart beat (arrhythmia) during the recovery phase. • Migraine headaches • High Blood Pressure: Donʼt stop taking blood pressure medicine. Using CoQ10 to treat high blood pressure should only been done under the supervision of a health care provider. • Diabetes: Some studies have found it can lower blood sugar levels. Monitor your blood sugar carefully if taking it. • Radiation Injury: Caused by cancer treatment. • Use in Cosmetics: Has been found to reduce deep wrinkles and protect against sun damage. • Studies also show its ability to slow aging and increase life span.
Currently being studied for use in treating: • Cancer • Parkinson Disease • ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) • Huntingtonʼs Disease • Gum (Periodontal) Disease • Decreased male fertility • Decreased immune function in people with HIV or AIDS